Saturday, September 24, 2005

Snark On!

Conference weekend here in… ummm… I guess my school needs a pseudonym.  I’ll get to that later.  Conference weekend here.  Random notes:

  1. I need more casual dressy stuff.  I get the feeling I shouldn’t do jacket and tie at this one, but most of the rest of my stuff is a bit too ‘Grad Student/TA’-looking.  They say you’ve got to dress at the level you want to be promoted to, right?

  2. That guy and that guy need casual dressy stuff much more than I do.  I don’t think a sweatshirt (with hood) quite cuts the image you were wanting.  And you over there… didn’t your mother tell you about black dress shoes and white socks?  I guess not.  I bet you wear white socks with sandals too.  My mom would cut off my feet.

  3. Presenter #3:  Breathe.  That is all.

  4. Woman with comment:  Trust me – you don’t have a helpful comment.  You don’t have a question.  It seems like you just wanted to talk about your own research.  Bringing up your own research and claiming that it is vital to the presenter’s paper when it’s not only convinces people that you are either so ignorant as to not understand how the two are not related, or so oblivious that you don’t care.  You can pick which for me.  Neither is that good.

  5. Folks in the back row:  You are supposed to be professionals.  You are professors from good schools.  I really want to look up to you and your scholarship.  I don’t want to think of you as chattering insensitive twits.  When the room is small enough so that everyone can hear you, it might be best to take the giggling outside.  I had hoped we would get better behavior than we get in the undergrad survey classes.

2 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

regarding #4 woman with comment, how it is that she makes her way into my conference presentations EVERY time?

Limon de Campo said...

It seems that professors are often the most ill-behaved audience members. I'm ashamed for us.