Friday, June 30, 2006
oh, yeah - 8.19km-39'30"
Thursday, June 29, 2006
- Has anyone done a study of teachers getting white-lung (chalk-dust inhalation sickness)? If so, can I get workers' comp?
- Three students saw Superman - 2 enthusiastic thumbs up, and one 'meh,' as Camera Obscura puts it.
- I am actually where I planned to be after the first week of lectures. I'm stunned.
- Tomorrow is for analyzing the readings. Danger danger danger.
- It's odd - I'm used to being able to lean on the professor's presence in discussions. If there's something I don't know, it's never been a problem because I'll just say, I'll ask the professor. It sounds a lot more sketchy if it's 'I'll go look that up.'
- I can also play against the big bad professor - "Well, it is a difficult reading, but the professor thinks it's important, so... Now I'll have to actually be responsible for my actions! I'm an American for crying out loud! I don't do that well at that!
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
There's one really big 'surprise,' but I really didn't like the way they handled it. Overall, I enjoyed most of the movie, but left me feeling very unfulfilled, and very unsatisfied with what passed for the 'character' of Superman.
I'm glad I saw it, but I'm even more glad that I didn't have my hopes that high
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
We're getting into more difficult territory tomorrow, so we'll see. I can tell that teaching this way every day is going to wear me out. I need to look for a masseuse.
Monday, June 26, 2006
On the plus side, I didn't run out of material. I thought I planned a bit too much, and it turns out that I planned a bit too much, so I guess that's good. Also, I have a handful of good talkers, and a couple of people very interested in getting into content arguments, so that's nice. Maybe during discussion they can pull some of the quieter ones out of their shells.
Oh yeah, one guy went to sleep and one guy came in one hour late and asked when the class started. :)
This is my first teaching position all on my own at a real university. Everything is mine. The readings selections, the lectures, the discussions, everything. I mean, I've borrowed content from here and there, but I chose them all. Cutting there, adding here. I've always said, 'if I were teaching this course, I'd do it this way - I wouldn't do that.' Damn karma. Of course, I now know very well that idealism and course design don't mesh well. Well, I guess it's a progressive thing. I've got to start somewhere, right?
Hehe - These people actually expect me to run the whole show.
So, I'm a little jumpy. Students can smell fear, right?
Sunday, June 25, 2006
Well, as long as I get it posted before Monday, I’m still not late, right?
Only one missed from last time was #7, “Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters” by Elton John. I just love that ‘Sons of Baaaankers, sons of Laaaawyers’ part. Good Stuff.
1 – I never would get the artist on this one
Soon You will come to knowWhen the bullet hits the bone
2 – I had/have a big crush on this artist. I think just about everybody did.
To where the water and the earth caress
And the down of a peach says mmh, yes,
Do I look for those millionaires
Like a Machiavellian girl would
When I could wear a sunset? mmh, yes,
It was kind of cold that night
She stood alone on her balcony
She could the cars roll by
Out on 441
Like waves crashing in the beach
And for one desperate moment there
He crept back in her memory
4 – Eeeeeeasy
There’s something about you girl
That makes me sweat
5 – I’m not so sure about this one…
There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in,
You took my body and played to win,
Ha Ha woman it's a crying shame,
But you ain't got no one else to blame.
6 – Obscure, but I bet you’ll get it
No one in the world ever gets what they want
and that is beautiful
Everybody dies frustrated and sad
and that is beautiful
7 – A hmmm hmm hmm
And you know what I’m talkin’ about.
Just let me know if you wanna go
To that home out on the range.
They gotta lotta nice girls.
8 – The lyrics site had the last line as ‘You always see my number, you don’t..’
Most times you can’t hear ‘em talk, other times you can.
Oh the same old cliché, as that woman on her a man
You always seem outnumbered, you don’t dare make a stand.
Face to face
And back to back
You see and feel
My sex attack
10 – Toughie?
And when my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' through to soothe me
Fri: 8.27km - 38'46"
Today: 8.23km - 38'45"
Funny, yeah. Consistency's gotta count for something, right?
So yesterday I went shopping to get a couple more 'Lookie, lookie, I'm an adult' shirts. I know I can never really pull off the illusion, but if I can trick the students into buying it for the first week or so, I figure it's in my favor. Good grief though, I forgot how proud of their nice clothing those stores are. I spent a lot more money than I thought I would. Ended up with some nice stuff though, so I guess it's ok.
I'm still lacking shorts that fit my new waist size though. That's lower priority, but still, I finally feel like one of the cool kids, because my shorts want to ride with the waist somewhere around mid-thigh. I just roll like that, you know. I guess paisley underwear should be on my list too...
Final random notes:
- The machine is out of diet coke, so I'm drinking my first non-diet coke in a long long time. Tastes funky. I want my unnatural chemicals back in my beverage!
- If I played for Brazil, my name would be 'Overreaca.' It's true because a website told me.
- Yesterday's outing also involved Ice Cream. Phish Food, you are my true love.
- I'm not a student here anymore, so I've got to pay for the bus and for the gym. Feh. At least my library card still works