Tuesday, September 13, 2005

You Like Me! You Really Like Me!

Something unexpectedly cool happened today.  I got to sit down and chat with a prof that I don’t get to see much of.  He’s a fairly big wig in a field related to what I do and a mover and shaker in the department.  I’ve taken a class or three from him, but I’ve never worked with him that closely.  Anyway, he wanted to know about my summer and what I was up to generally, and we talked about all the joy of my thesis, but then the conversation changed.  
We began to talk about the department and the people that are coming and going and such.  Our department is fairly small but very much on the up (I’m biased, obviously, so cope).  We are in the process of building a PhD program and a couple other specialty fields that would make us quite literally unique in the US.  So, without me even mentioning my PhD hunt, he said that when we get the PhD program up and running (probably a year after I should get my MA), that I should definitely apply.
This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this.  I’ve gotten it from another ex-chair last spring.  The current chair also just happened by my office yesterday and chatted for half an hour or so too.
I don’t think that I’ll be here for my PhD, partially because I want to get into it as soon as I get my MA, but also because I’m not sure I want to spend another big chunk of my life in this area, but it’s nice to feel wanted!  

Of course, I could take a year abroad after the MA and do research and then apply… If only I could get funding…

No comments: