Friday, September 09, 2005

Following the Rabbit

There was a very nervous looking very young woman wearing all the university-student regalia buying a pregnancy test in front of me in line at the store today.  It’s amazing how alone and skittish she looked.  The cashier, perhaps from experience, seemed to know better than to give the customary, “Hi there, did you find everything alright?”  Not that I blame her really.  I’m not sure there’s a Miss Manners approved set of talking points for either side of that conversation.  
I tried to spin it upbeat.   Maybe she’s nervous because she’s happy.  Maybe she is ready psychologically and financially for a child.  Maybe there’s a loving, caring and thoughtful partner at home anxiously awaiting the results, or unknowing and apt to be happily surprised.
The thing is though, I’m a cynical twit.  I don’t believe any of that is the case.  I wouldn’t be surprised to find that there is a much sadder story behind that purchase.  I do hope it turns out ok.

1 comment:

Spoomonger said...

It can be so scary. But, my sister and I were both ‘unplanned’ and life went on. Things were different, sure, but that doesn’t mean they were bad. Changing lifestyles is always a scary thing, especially when they are forced. But, we often find that the new lifestyle has us happier and more content in the end. Initial fear aside, this kind of saga is what makes life beautiful.