Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Runagain!

5.91km – 32’45”

Well, I did my first post-trip run and my first run from my new duplex-thingie.  I am really happy about the run.  I was a bit dehydrated and my breath wasn’t completely back, but my legs seemed happy enough.  I held a 5 min 33 sec /km pace, which isn’t too bad, and more importantly, my heart rate didn’t get too crazy.  

It was nice to get back out there though.  My new place is just a little further from the trail than my last place, so I’m just adding a bit onto my old run.  Now I just need to try the campus run and see if I can hold up.  

It was hot and dry and the cracked ground gave out puffs of dust with each stride.

There is some kind of hawk or other bird of prey that flies out there and they will fly really low.  You can see their shadows follow you run along, and then look up and see them above you.  

The squirrelly squirrels were out and standing dumbly in the path until you’re almost right on top of them.  Suddenly they perk up and scamper off into their little holes.  

I even found a few humans out there.  One was flying a remote controlled airplane in the open field area.  Another one was an elderly gentleman with a big floppy hat who responded with a startled ‘Yes!’ when I bade him a good afternoon.  And then there were the other runners.  Two of them.  I shouldn’t feel as good as I do about passing them, but I did.  And I was taking the long way.  They were taking the shortcuts.

It’s good to be back.

1 comment:

anbruch said...

Yay! I saw a doe and two fauns out when I ran yesterday.

anbruch
\*/