Monday, August 08, 2005

My Snark Lessons Are Paying Off

Things that you say wanting to impress people that don’t.

I only listen to jazz.

Good! I like jazz too, but if you aren’t a musician, the minute you make any music choice a defining part of your life, and foreswear all other kinds of music (and this seems to happen disproportionally to jazz folks), you’ve stepped way over that line to the land of pretension.

Oh, I don’t know anything about (insert inane TV show here). I don’t have a TV.

Wonderful! I agree that TV is a generally a great wasteland, but it’s also a tool to used for good or evil, your choice. Not having a TV is fine, even inspireing, but telling me that you don’t have a TV every couple of minutes sounds like you are protesting a wee bit too much. Do you really just want to come over and watch my TV? ‘Cause I’ve got one, and I know you don’t, and it seems that you’re a bit hung up on it. I’ve even got cable.

Blah blah blah cabernet blah blah blah

Again, I like wine, and I admire those who can pair a good wine to a good meal, but being well-versed in wine doesn’t make you a better person, no matter how much you think it might.

Blah blah blah wasn’t as good as the book.

Of course it wasn’t! Nothing ever is! But more importantly, the movie is fundamentally different than the book. You can’t compare the two forms in equality. One may be better suited to a certain audience or serve a certain message because they are different. This is usually just a transparent effort by people who don’t read books often to tell someone that they read the book, and look at me, I’m smart because I read a book. Well, I’m not sure the novelization of the Dukes of Hazzard makes me respect your noggin any more than I did before.

2 comments:

jayfish said...

someone sure is bitter! :P

(and yet i agree with what you say)

RussianViolets said...

This is fabulous!!! I got trapped by some wine snobs the other day, and I swear the same words were in my head. Those people need to get over themselves.