Saturday, August 06, 2005

Homeward Bound

Now the fun begins!

I think I’ve got a shot at two different apartments. Here’s the breakdown:

#1 –

· Old place

· Unseen dog (owner says he was being a bit of a spaz today, so he was in the master bedroom)

· Crazy Expensive

· One couple in the master bedroom, a guy (with my first name) in the other single room

· 1.5 baths shared by all

· 1 year lease

· Folks who live there seem a bit geeky, which is good

#2

· Slightly older place

· Seen dog who seemed a bit spooked to have me coming in there smelling like cat, but otherwise nice and cute

· More crazy expensive

· One couple in the master bedroom and a gal who just graduated in the other single room

· 2 baths – one of which I would share with said gal

· 3 month minimum 24 month max month to month lease

· Gorgeous location

· Folks who live there seem a bit ‘cooler’ than I care to be, but nice

I really hate this whole hunting process, when I eventually try to buy a house I’m no doubt going to be apoplectic. I always feel like I’m begging for them to accept me – that somehow this is all a validation or condemnation of me as a person. That guy had a little bit of a southern accent, should I play up the time I’ve spent in the south? That guy mentioned that he likes baseball, should I play up that I’m one of the university team photographers? I understand that it’s nerve-wracking for them too, trying to weed out the felons and psychotics and such with only a brief meeting, but in the end, they still have the house. I’ve got jack. Except for promises that I’ll pay them every month and that I won’t put bottles in the garbage disposal (apparently a problem with a previous tenant).

In any case, I’ve seen both places. I would be willing to take either one, but I’d prefer #2 mainly because of the lease length. Now I just sit back and pray that someone calls back and gives me an offer. I probably won’t find out until next weekend, and isn’t that grand, because I’m going to be on the other side of the world by then. So if neither of these goes through I’m going to string up a hammock in the office.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate that process too. Mr. Geeky and I had a horrible experience once when we looked at a house. It was nice and spacious, in a good neighborhood. The landlady called us and said she wouldn't rent it to us because we weren't a family. I was shocked. I thought, "Didn't we present ourselves as nice people? Don't we look like we're on our way to family status? And what the hell is your definition of family anyway, lady?" I felt the same way when we bought a house, though that was somewhat better because it was a matter of finances not personal life choices. Good luck with the decision. I hope you get what you want.

RussianViolets said...

It's being judged, I think. I hate that. Even while applying for the mortgage and knowing that my credit was good, I felt sick to have someone poring over my personal information that way. For me, it's about privacy, and you cannot have that when you are looking for a place to live.

Stewgad said...

I'd worry about the place where they didn't let you meet the dog. You've got to live with the dog, right? Why wouldn't they introduce you? Is it a Pitt Bull with Rabies? or a Freaky Cocker Spaniel who'll pee on all your stuff before it tears it all to pieces? (But I'm the suspicious type...)

Good luck with this horrible process!

Overread said...

Russianviolets is right, I think. It really is a judgment thing, and it's awful that anyone wouldn't rent to Laura because you weren't what they call a 'family.'

Honestly I didn't think about a peeing Spaniel. That would be most uncool.

ugh.