Friday, March 31, 2006

Biking Blues

Now I'm a very pro-biking, anti driving-two-blocks-to-pick-up-a-gallon-of-milk kind of guy myself, but I'm quick to admit the troubles of biking. Number one is weather of course. I'm lucky enough to live in a land of perpetual spring and roses, but when it does get rainy, it goes all monsoon-style. It's been doing that a lot lately. I bought some nice rain gear, even a backpack rain cover, and that seems to be working well.

Yesterday however, sadness struck. I got a flat on the way home. Poop. Luckily, I wasn't in a hurry or anything and I was close to the grocery store that has a nice bike rack, so I walked my sad bike over there and locked him up. This also gave me an excuse to go in and get a 70% dark chocolate bar for the rest of the walk home. Num. Although I do wonder if the guy who saw me take all the stealable things off my bike thought I was being thiefy. And I've got the Audible.com audiobook thing going, so even though it was still about a mile or so from home, it didn't seem too bad. (I'm now listening to this book - very fun)

So today I got to hoof it back to the grocery store, get the bike, walk it over to the bike shop and get a new tube & tire put on it while I ate lunch. Yes, yes, I am able to do it myself, but I'm lazy. Like so many stores, the bike shop is dangerous. They had a very cool high candlepower headlight and a cool ergonomic seat that almost found their way into my purchase.

Anywhoo, story of little import, but just another excuse to say that I love biking instead of driving. I should also say that I don't even have a car, so it might be a case of making a virtue of necessity. The way things are panning out, I'm probably going to be going to a very different climatic world to read my PhD. I think I'll still be able to bike, but it's going to be much more challenging - fun!

No comments: