Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Grading Through Molasses

I feel like I just can’t get through this pile of papers. I’m about halfway through, but it’s just killing me. Each paper seems to prove that I was wrong when I thought the last one was as dull as it could get. I keep feeling like I should say that the papers aren’t all awful, exactly... In fact, they are getting higher grades than is the norm for papers I grade. Maybe it’s just the topic, which isn’t much to my liking. Maybe it’s that the students all got spooked because of the plagiarism cases last time and so they’re turning in their own, less ‘inspired’ work this time around. Maybe it’s just spring.

The prof just told me that the final is going to be another paper instead of an exam. Joy. I’m sure the students are giddy too. Well, I’m going to set them aside for a bit and work on some of my own work for an hour or three. Maybe I can get into a groove on that. Surely there’s a groove somewhere I can get into.

Fun game – tell your friends to say ‘molasses’ out loud really slowly. Oh, I’m hilarious. Actually I should credit my family. They did that to me and laughed for hours as I tried to find out what was so funny. Hmmm… I really should have stopped trusting them a long time ago

No comments: