Monday, June 20, 2005

DAY ONE: NAIVE OPTIMISM

Day one of the summer from hell is over, all but the crying anyway. The class of doom (Hereafter: COD) is, much as expected, a bit over my head. I think I can catch up, but it’s going to be quite nasty – quite nasty indeed. The lucky thing is that it seems that there are others in the class that are in my situation too, so either we can all gang up and drag the class down with our collective ignorance, or we can wallow in our failures as a group which is better than doing it alone.

On the plus side, the photography class should be a lot of fun. The prof is very into the creative creation of the image, and the photographer’s consciousness of the process of taking the photograph. That’s not my photo background at all, so it’ll be nice to stretch a bit. We are going to learn all the developing tricks and such, but she said that she doesn’t care what camera we use. Digital’s fine, 35mm, large format, camera phone, whatever.

I figure I’ll do a bit of 35mm in the beginning and then switch over to digital for the sake of speed as the projects start to come due. Maybe I need to dig out the old Polaroid, too. Anyone have one of those pinhole cameras?

Oh yeah, sorry to the Jayfish, but the first assignment is self-portraiture, so the photos aren’t going up to Fickr. Maybe you will be able to find them elsewhere though. If the rest of the assignments are less revealing, I’m hoping to put them up for all to see and critique.

Ok, I’ve got about a pound and a half of reviewing and three kilos of previewing to do for the COD, so I’m off to get some snacks to last me through the night.

2 comments:

jayfish said...

i actually have a pinhole camera... made it a few years ago. only took a couple photos as access to a darkroom was short.

Overread said...

oooh.. You've got that camera cap with the hole it too, don't you... hmmm...