Sunday, June 05, 2005

Sleep? Sleep is For Undergrads

I think I’ve just made a decision for this summer. I had planned on taking an intro to photography class (black and white, film, developing and all that good stuff), but that class alone would keep me under the full-time requirement, so I was looking for another class to take.

I really wanted to take a phys-ed class (they don’t still call them that, do they?). I took a tennis class a year or so ago, and I really loved it, but wouldn’t you know it, the only things on offer were nutrition and sports injuries or some such. So I was sad, but still looking for something that would be helpful but not too intensive, because I still have a lot of technical work that I need to get done this summer.

Then I thought about it and decided, Hey! It’s not for nothing** that I’m a grad student! Why in the world would I even think about being able to sleep and rest up this summer? Sooooo, I’m taking a monster course. I won’t go into details, but it puts me well into full-time status, and it’s going to kick my ass. It’s in a field that I toyed with a while back, and I’m just discovering in my research that I should have stayed with it a bit longer. There’s a huge amount of class time, plus all sorts of outside work, and here’s the true joy, it doesn’t conflict with the photography class, so I get to take that one too!

Maybe my brain is a bit more addled than usual, but I’m really excited.


** I’m not really supposed to be able to use the phrase ‘not for nothing,’ because I didn’t grow up in a certain area, and I’m probably not even using it correctly, but I just think it’s hilarious. In the interests of comedy, I will brave grammatical embarrassment.

UPDATE: I was going to try to link to a site that explained the linguistic area of 'not for nothing,' but I couldn't find one. I did, however, find some truly wonderful quotes:

it is not for nothing that Jesus taught us to pray...

not for nothing is the technical term for love of gloom scotophilia.

It is not for nothing that Gildersleeve...refers to Persius' satire as a 'knotted thong'

Not for nothing did Anglo-Saxons live by the metaphysical concepts of honor...

Not for nothing was Derrida described as "a Jewish mystic"


ok, ok, I'm stopping now, but not before noting the internet is a dangerous tool, and that 'thong' is going to get this site more hits that I probably don't really care to get :)


No comments: