Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Third Student

Well, I’ll be…

I’m not even sure what to do with this one. This student hasn’t been in class for the last, say… 80% of the class. Our class has a very stringent attendance policy: miss more than x classes and you fail (where X=much less than other teachers give), so he’s already gone on that count. He didn’t take either of the two quizzes. He failed spectacularly on the midterm, and he didn’t turn in either of the papers. Here’s the kicker:

He took the final.

I took a quick glance at some of the fill-in-the-blank answers – Woohoo! Comedy Gold.

Ok, I lied. I do know what to do with this student, but the amazing thing is the gall that it took to show up for the final. I mean, does he think he may actually pass? I can completely understand taking a class so you can fill up the credits enough to get student loans, or convince the parentals to keep sending money, but why actually spend the effort to get out of bed at 8 in the morning to take the final?

I’m baffled. Amused, but baffled.

1 comment:

Camera Obscura said...

He didn't have enough absences / missed assignments to be tossed by the drop date? We used to do that to the slackers just so we didn't have to mess with them, even if they were too lazy to drop the class themselves. Since such notices went to the "home address" (heh, heh, heh) there was no hiding it from the Ps.

Of course, I was TAing an undergrad course that nearly everybody on campus had to take (beginning programming); one they had so many sections of that they hired undergradutate TAs (ok, well, they hired me, and I was just a junior at the time, although by credit-count a second-semester junior, b/c I was going summers.)