Monday, December 19, 2005

What? Who Runs?

8.6km - 50 minutes

Ok, I finally ran again. My footsies were not pleased. It felt pretty good though. I had to run on the treadmill again though. I'm getting used to it though. I did go through with the Audible.com thing a month ago or so and I'm running and biking now listening to The World is Flat. It's a very interesting very globalization... tape...er... MP3? I'm very torn on the topic, but I like some of the things that author brings up - most importantly is the need to start actually funding education. He also thinks that engineering a Fossil Fuel Alternative could be the modern version of the Moon Shot. Getting kids into science and challenging the current possibles, but with a goal of general good. I don't think that would be as sexy as the Moon Shot, but the true sadness is that we're not trying anything. We just de-fund everything in the hopes that the private sector will pick up the slack. Sigh... In two generations, or very possibly one, there will simply be no way we are going to be able to have more or better technical workers than India or China. We simply don't have the money, the drive or the numbers. The best we can hope for is to minimize the damage to our industry and give away green cards to any PhD who wants one.

Wow. That all just blurted out. I wonder if any of it made sense?

No comments: