Thursday, January 12, 2006

Like School on Sunday

Prepping for class tomorrow:

I feel slightly guilty that I'm prepping a handout that I've used before even though I know there is a better version of the thing in a text that's just been published. I even had it in my hands not just a week ago, but I let the monsters of ILL demand their book back before I was able to put it on a copier. Sigh. Ah, well. The original handout will work fine.

I don't have energy for this right now. My teaching style relies on lots and lots of energy, lest the students notice that I'm a fraud. (Give 'em lot's of razzle dazzle, and they'll never catch wise - anyone want to sing with me?) I hope I have energy at 8am tomorrow.

I'm hoping that there will be lots of interesting and interested folk in class. I'm very excited because this is a big sprawling survey course, and it gives a lot of opportunity for the students to get 'OH! I get it!' moments. I really like being nearby when that happens.

The class is packed to the gills. There's no way we're going to have enough chairs. I can feel it in my bones. Plenty of students wanting into a class is wonderful. It's great to have a popular class. A classroom that is small is... less wonderful. On the other hand, I'm glad we're not in a lecture hall...

Ok, that's all I've got tonight. I've got to get back to my prepping. Don't worry, I know you're dying of curiosity, I'll let you know how it goes :)

1 comment:

Mon said...

8AM on a Friday? Yikes. I am in awe of you.