Saturday, February 18, 2006

One Down, a Swing and a Miss

I got my first rejection from a PhD program today. In all honesty, it was a place I really didn't think I would get an offer from - they don't have anyone really doing what I'm doing, and it is a very elite school, but still, a rejection is a rejection, and rejections hurt.
The next couple of weeks are going to be very frantic - I should be hearing back from seven more schools all about the same time.
I'm egotistical enough to think that I will get at least one offer, but I've been thinking about what I'll do if I don't. I don't really work in a field that has a commercial track. Pretty much the only things that I am qualified to do would be overseas and probably wouldn't earn me enough to pay back my student loans.

Poop.

7 comments:

luckybuzz said...

Rejections totally suck. But hey, it's good you got the rejection out of the way early, right? :)

mendi-la said...

you'll get in to the one place you don't want to go to...that's murphy's law

jayfish said...

hey, at least you heard from them. it coulda been one of those lost in the wind kinda things.

zerodoll said...

better to know early vs. late. sorry about that.

Phantom Scribbler said...

Bleah. Sorry.

Wishing you luck on the rest of the responses!

sheepish said...

Can't win 'em all, but I hope you win the rest of 'em.

Overread said...

Thanks for all the positive thoughts folks - it really doe help :)