Friday, July 22, 2005

Flashback

Just got back from a dinner with a colleague from long-ago who is teaching off in the land of Far Far Away. He’s back in the States briefly before heading back, and we got together for Mexican food and a couple of Dos Equis. He’s a very interesting guy, but he’s infuriating at the same time. I can’t believe all the stories he tells, because, well, they’re just completely incredible, but at the same time, I know this guy has lived through some really strange things. So, I’m generally at a loss when I talk to him. Case in point – The story about the daughter of the mob boss and the politico at the bordello? Tough to buy.

He’s also become very anti-American, which I can understand, but don’t agree with. When you live ten years overseas, and you have to explain why Americans vote Bush and seem to enjoy invading others, it’s tough to keep a positive outlook on the States.

The other thing he mentioned is that America has a lot of fat folks. The funny thing is that neither he nor I are particularly skinny, but I know what he’s talking about. The last time I came back from living overseas, I was stunned when I came back by number of overweight folks here. This reminds me that I need to run more and eat less (particularly Mexican with Dos Equis).

Reminiscing over old colleagues:

1. divorced the idiot, hates the new job, but it pays well

2. retired, thank goodness

3. still ruling with an iron fist and the kindest smile that fools everyone

4. headed home and got a real job

5. awaiting sentencing (probably will get 3 years from what I hear, but could get up to 10)

6. moved away to go to school

7. Trying to become a XXXXian citizen, but the wife will be furious

8. No idea what happened to him, but no one ever really liked him anyway

9. Moved to big city waaaay down south (borrowed money from friend – probably wont be repaid)

Wow, what an interesting bunch of freaks… er... folks… I’m sure I was the only normal one there. :)

No comments: