Thursday, July 21, 2005

Jane Austin Sings!

I seriously need to see more Bollywood movies. My brother introduced me to Lagaan a while back, which was great, and last night there was a screening of Bride and Prejudice, which is the Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice (big surprise there). It was absolutely hilarious. Basically, what is so wonderful about it is that it’s like the old Hollywood musicals. Think Singing in the Rain or Brigadoon. Think sappy romantic stories with huge song and dance numbers.

This ought to sum it up nicely – the leads are walking along the beach in LA, and a song starts up. The camera follows them to reveal that there’s a gospel choir on aluminum risers on the beach singing the song. It’s so visually incongruous that it’s funny, but because it’s built into the genre, it doesn’t detract at all. The movie is poking fun at the type, but without stepping outside of it.

It’s just a riot.

I will say that although the movie is trying to play against some of the gender and racial stereotypes, there is a lot that they end up playing into by virtue of adapting P&P, and by virtue of the genre itself. I wasn't too bothered by it, but it might be because I'm a sucker for this kind of sap.

Bride and Prejudice – 7/10

Oh, yeah. I’m also madly in love with Aishwarya Rai.

4 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, Brigadoon! Sigh. I love that movie.

I gotta go get me some Bollywood musicals.

Overread said...

I actually played Harry Beaton in a community theatre production of Brigadoon when I was in university the first time 'round. What a wonderfully sappily romantic movie.

anbruch said...

Brigadoon's a favorite here as well, as is Singin' in the Rain.

Did you know that Jean Hagen voice doubled herself in the film? She did both Lina's voice and the voice the spoken lines that Kathy was supposedly doubling. Reynold's voice was also doubled in at least one of the songs. Gotta love all that unacknowledged voice doubling in a film about the evils of voice doubling!

The part I like best is the Cyd Charisse segment in the Broadway Melody ballet. I could watch that forever.

\*/

Overread said...

I didn't know about all the dubbing - that's hilarious.

I just wish that I could move like those guys. Danny Kaye has more grace in a pratfall than I do in my best moments.