Monday, August 01, 2005

Easy Come, Easy Go(ing)...

Oh my, things can get ugly, can’t they?

Much drama has erupted about the TA slot in the fall.

For those of you playing at home, here’s the box score:

Fall – no chance for a TA slot. Don’t even try.
Summer (mid) – Congratulations! You’re a TA
Summer (mid +1 week) – umm… about that TA slot… how about maybe?

· Seriously, all the grief was only because of a couple of miscommunications (email, natch). It’s clear that everyone is acting in their own best interests and not out of spite or venom, which does make things a bit easier. As of today though, word is that I don’t have the position, but I’m still in the running against folks from the other department. The feeling I get is that I won’t get this job, but I’ll gain a lot of brownie points to be turned in later for… umm… brownies?

· My biggest worry is if I get the job but tick off a good number of folks I’ll have to work with in the process. That never ends well. Everyone I know that's in this process is good folk, and I really don't want to make waves with this. People tell me that I can be too accomadating at times, and I'm sure that I could press this much harder than I am, but I don't think it would help my chances, and I'm sure it would make enemies that I don't need.

· I didn’t plan on having the income, so I can survive without it, but it would make things a lot easier (especially with the fact that wherever I end up renting in the fall, it’ll be more expensive than where I am now).

· My argument about being more versed in Gruub still stands. I have no doubt that anyone they could get from the other department would be capable, but wouldn’t you want a TA who studies Gruub for a class in Gruub?

2 comments:

RussianViolets said...

Oh, that blows. Sympathies!

jayfish said...

i like brownies! (the snack, not the nymphets)