Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Quiz-o-riffic!

(Pardon the delay- the internets are fickle)

Very well done O, quizzical testers (Beware dangerous spoonerisms!) Bonus points indeed to knightjorge for picking up Mr. Lehrer’s Tango, and a special Whoopee! to steph who was able to bridge the 90’s Pop/Classic Rock Divide - but no less praise is due to everyone.

Missing tunes were: #2 CSN&Y, Love The One You’re With, #5 Lemon Pipers, Green Tambourine (told you it was tough :) ), #6 The Cardigans, Lovefool and #10 MC Hammer, Can’t Touch This.

Now, be honest. Someone out there knew the MC Hammer one, but just didn’t want to admit it, right?

But, now, there is new work to be done back in the 80s:

#1

Risin' up, straight to the top
Had the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive

#2

Darkness on the edge
Shadows where I stand
I search for the time
On a watch with no hands

#3

I know you
Were expecting a one night stand
When I refused
I knew you wouldn't understand

#4

Well can’t you see me standing here,
I’ve got my back against the record machine
I ain’t the worst that you’ve seen.
Oh can’t you see what I mean ?

#5

One that won't make me talk too much
Or make my face freak out

#6

He wants me
but only part of the time
He wants me
if he can keep me in line

#7

Listen to the music on the lake
Listen
to my heart break
every time she runs away

#8

I remember searching for the perfect words
I was hoping you might change your mind
I remember a soldier sleeping next to me

#9

Every girl wants you to be her man
But I'll wait my dear 'til it's my turn
I'm not the kind of girl who gives up just like that

#10

Don't you try and pretend
It's my beginning
We'll win in the end
I won't harm you
Or touch your defenses

10 comments:

jayfish said...

vaiwm
the joy of waking up too early and being the first poster at the quiz!

#1 Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
#2
#3
#4 (i know this one, i swear...i just don't KNOW it.)
#5 I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis and the News ?
#6 Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday
#7 Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby & the Range
#8 Riding on the Metro - um... brain no workie
#9 (the middle line is very familiar)
#10 (the last two lines are the ones that should give this away, right?)

yay!

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Argh! The frustration of being the second commenter and losing out on the only ones I knew! Curses on you, Jayfish! :)

Okay, gotta dig deeper in the brain... going into 80s hypnosis...

#2 is "These Dreams"
#4 is Van Halen, "Jump!"
#9 is "The Tide is High"

(whew!)

BrightStar (B*) said...

crap. I was going to say #5.

Suzanne said...

Boy, I knew a lot of these, too.

#10: (Don't You) Forget about Me by Simple Minds.

Jayfish, #8 is by Berlin.

#3: I Didn't Mean to Turn You On by Robert Palmer.

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Oh, how could I have not gotten #10, my high school senior anthem? I hang my head in shame.

luckybuzz said...

Agggh! The agony of being the 5th commenter! I swear I knew most of these!

That's it. I obviously have to stop leaving the house for classes. I'll be first next time that way!!!

Phantom Scribbler said...

Note to self: must check Overread before doing anything else in the morning.

Do I get points for suspecting that you watched Zoom this morning?

RussianViolets said...

# 1 “Eye of the Tiger” – Survivor
# 2 “These Dreams” – Heart
# 4 “Jump” – Van Halen
# 5 “I Want a New Drug” – Huey Lewis & the News
# 6 “Voices Carry” – Til Tuesday

Now, the 80s are my music decade. :-)

Steph Youstra said...

1. eye of the tiger
2. these dreams
4. jump ~ van halen
5. i need a new drug ~ hall & oates

Steph Youstra said...

I knew #5 was some H& group ...

For those of you late-bloomers out there .... I just scroll down the comments, put in my guesses, then go back and look at the answers. That way at least I've tried.

After all, the early bird gets the worm .... but what would I do with the worm once I got it?