Monday, January 16, 2006

No Sleep For Me!

So, ummm... yeah. I watched the whole movie instead of going to sleep.

Actually I haven't seen Roman Holiday is a long time, but I still love it, and Ms. Hepburn is still crush-worthy. I'm a little surprise actually, because this was a popular film, why Hollywood hasn't done a remake. The heads of the big studios have already convinced me that they refuse to even look at any film that has anything approaching novelty, and the audience has shown themselves to be equally adamantly opposed to watching anything but the same old stories with the same old characters. Even the cinemas themselves are loathe to screen anything that might sprain some brain cell out there.

I was thinking all about this while watching the movie, and wondering how they might do the remake. Gregory Peck's character was a slightly older guy, so Hollywood would have to go with a Clooney-ish actor. Hepburn was very young, and very thin (I didn't remember her being that thin - kinda spooky), so they'd go straight for a Lohan-esque 'actress.'

The story would have to change, of course. Any possibility of the sad but satisfying end of the original would have to be thrown out. Well, either that or you could have a sex scene. It's ok for the characters to not end up together so long as the guy gets to sleep with the girl at some point. Come to think of it, there would probably have to be sex in the movie regardless.

I will say, one thing that I thought was funny in the original is that when they finally do have that long steamy kiss, they don't move. I can only assume that this was a movie code regulation, but it looked a bit odd: Tension tension tension, passionate embrace! Kiss! and pause. Careful - no jaw movement, the youth in the audience may get the wrong idea. No tongue, ministers might implode... and... break! ok, you can act again...

How’s that for a rambling incoherent post?

4 comments:

sheepish said...

Audrey pretty much rules. She's one of the few older actresses that I think was truly beautiful by modern standards. I absolutely loathe the mindless retelling of Hollywood classics. For instance, I would rather do something to my eyes that should not be done to eyes than watch the remake of Charade, despite the presence of Marky Mark.

zerodoll said...

Please let's hope this never gets remade, or Breakfast at Tiffany's.

mendi-la said...

if anyone saw the golden globes last night, natalie portman would make a beautiful gamine Audrey if they remade Roman Holiday - i wouldn't pick george for the Peck character, maybe someone a bit older and a little more dashing like tom selleck...no sex, only sweet kiss at the end
all that said - don't remake it unless you want to break it

Overread said...

ooo, I think you're right, Natalie might make a decent Audrey...