Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Oldest Established Permanent Floating Quiz Game (Not) In New York

Edited to add:
For added joy, Now instituted is the Pilgrim/Heretic Rule: To be considered truly a quiz-master or quiz-mistress, you must also now supply the line that follows the given line. Bwahahaa!
Thanks Pilgrim/Heretic!


I think it's high time for a new lyrics quiz, what do you guys think?

1
What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street

2
As he rises to her apology
Anybody else would surely know

3
I never know, I never know, I never know why
You make me wanna cry

4
Do the pony puts us in a trance
do the watusi just give us a chance
That's when we fall in line

5
The mist is lifting slowly
I can see the way ahead
And I've left behind the empty streets
That once inspired my life

6
Don't you look at my girlfriend
She's the only one I got
Not much of a girlfriend

7
well, Cleopatra died for Egypt,
what a waste of time
white ones and red ones
and some you can't disguise

8
I’m counting on you, Lord, please don’t let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,

9
Long nights, impossible odds
Keeping my back to the wall

10
Gunter glieben glauchen globen


Bonus for figuring out where the title came from :)

13 comments:

zerodoll said...

#4 The GoGo's- We Got the Beat
#10 Def Leppard (sp?)- Rock of Ages

Yay for mid-afternoon quizzing!

jayfish said...

damn, i know who sings #2 but i don't know the title

#3 Forever Live and Die - OMD

damn again, i know who sings #6 but no title.

#9 Blue Collar Man - Styx (corndogger's fave!)

happy saturday quizzy!

luckybuzz said...

Hi, quiz! I was just thinking about you!

#1: For what it's worth, Buffalo Springfield
#2: What a fool believes?--I don't know who this is...
#6: Supertramp...honestly, all their songs sound alike to me, so it's...that one.
#8: Mercedes Benz...Janis sang it
#10: Def Leppard...is it "Photograph"?

Thanks overread...I still heart the quiz!

luckybuzz said...

Oooh, I totally like P/H's idea!

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

#2 is the Best Song Ever, Michael McDonald, "What a Fool Believes."

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

You know, you could up the ante a bit by asking not only for singer and title, but the next line in the song. (since these always end up playing through my head all day anyway...)

Overread said...

ooooh.. I really like that idea...

ahem...

Henceforth, Let it be known to all quizzers that Pilgrim/Heretic's word be Law!

Overread said...

Of course!

Though I do need to let the internets know, lest they don't believe you when you tell them...

:)

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Oooo, cool! (That relates to everything in the blogosphere, right, not just the quiz?) :)

Liz Miller said...

The title of the post is from one of the world's greatest musicals: Guys and Dolls.

Suzanne said...

#7 is Lies by The Thompson Twins.

zerodoll said...

The new rule is gonna be so tough when you can sing the next line, you've got the tune, but the title and artist escapes you!

mendi-la said...

#2 - Michael McDonald - What a Fool Would Believe - next line: He's watching her go

#6 - Supertramp?

#10 - Def Lepard - Pyromania - next line: Al-right, ya got somethin to say!