Sunday, November 13, 2005

Giving 110%

Part of my photo-gig world is shooting sports photos, so I go to a lot of games. There’s enough there for a thousand blog posts. Last night, for whatever reason, the crowd was really vocal. The home fans were riotous and rude, as usual, but there was a pretty good group of fans for the visitor’s team too. I got the impression that they really weren’t up to the razzing standards for the event. Anyway, I present for your edification:

Silly Things That Sports People Said Last Night:

‘You’ve got to want it!’

‘Stay hungry!’
That’s one of my favorites. I remember when I played football, that on defense we would say with complete seriousness that the quarterback was a slab of meat and we had to be hungry.

‘He’s going to eat your lunch.’
See above. Also, wouldn’t it be worse to eat someone’s dinner? I never hear that…

‘Kill him!’

Various helpful things said to aid the referees in officiating.
My favorite last night was when a call went in favor of the visitors, one of the visitor’s fans yelled out something to the effect of, ‘Finally! Great call you fucking blind sack of shit!’ I’m sure that’ll help your team’s cause, sir.

‘Put it all out there’/ ‘Leave it all on the field/court.’
Umm... eww…

Somehow I’ve gone blank on the other ones I heard last night. Did I miss any good ones?

I will say that I saw an interview at halftime for some game – when the interviewer asked the question about what the team needed to do to get back in the game in the second half, the interviewee said, “The defense needs to stop them and the offence needs to put points on the board.” I’d say that’s pretty smart thinking there Mr. Coach.

1 comment:

Phantom Scribbler said...

You played football? Really?? In high school?