Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Tragedy in One Act

I can’t remember faces.  I can’t remember names.  Or rather, I don’t.  This is horrifically embarrassing.  Often.  Last night I went to the library, and while I was at the counter, I saw a guy I recognized.  He worked there, and I even recognized that I had seen him and talked to him before.  But that wasn’t where I knew him from.  Bolstered by my being able to remember that I had forgotten who he was (a success, generally), I ventured to speak.

Overread:     Hey, I’m sure I know you.  Where have we met?
Counter
Dude:          Oh, I took X class.  (I TAed it last year)
OR:     Oh, cool, yeah.  I’m sorry I’m so awful with names and faces.  I’ve even seen you here at the library before, right?     
CD:     Yeah.
OR:     So how’s it going?
CD:     I failed that class.
[Smile fades from OR’s face.  Uncomfortable Pinter-esque pause.  Exit CD stage left.]

When will I learn?  

No comments: