Thursday, October 13, 2005

With Tunes Like This, I Must Be Ancient.

Alrighty. Music for the Masses (the ‘masses’ being the 5 people who read this blog :) ):

#1 – Who are the hippies out there?

Dealin' card games with the old men in the club car.
Penny a point ain't no one keepin' score.
Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle
Feel the wheels rumblin' 'neath the floor.
And the sons of pullman porters
And the sons of engineers
Ride their father's magic carpets made of steel.

#2 – Hybrid Hippy/Hash-Head

It was raining hard in 'Frisco
I needed one more fare to make my night
A lady up ahead waved to flag me down
She got in at the light

#3 A little easier

I solve my problems and I see the light
We gotta plug and think, we gotta feed it right
There ain't no danger we can go to far
We start believing now that we can be who we are

#4 Shameful if you don’t know it:

Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy.

#5 You’ll remember the video, but can you remember the song?

Oh superman where are you now
When everything’s gone wrong somehow
The men of steel, the men of power
Are losing control by the hour.

8 comments:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Ooh, you hit my one strain of hippiedom! #2 is Harry Chapin. But I can't remember the title for the life of me - how about more lines instead?

"It took a while but she looked in the mirror
And then she glanced at the license for the name
The smile seemed to come to her slowly
It was a sad smile, just the same

"And she said, "How are you Harry?"
I said, "How are you, Sue?
Through the too many miles and the too little smiles I... still remember you."

"...Cause she was going to be an actress
And I was going to learn to fly
She took off to find the headlights
I took off to find the sky

"And here she's acting happy
Inside her handsome home
And me, I'm flying in my taxi
Taking tips, and getting stoned
I go flyyyyyyyying
so hiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
When I'm stoned."

That's what I can remember off the top of my head right now. Surely that deserves something? (Does the title have Taxi in it or something?)

RussianViolets said...

# 4 -- "Dust in the Wind."

Woo hoo!!! Got one.

mendi-la said...

ooh, boy, these are out of my realm today... a ring on her finger and bells on her toes and a bone in her nose, ho ho!

Overread said...

Hooray for the New Hippy on the Hallway and the Russian Violets in the Wind!

Oh, Mendi-la, I had you pegged to get #3!

hehe

Only hope left is for the fish, and these might be older than he likes... :)

Phantom Scribbler said...

Ooo, it's not that I'm so old, but my dad was an Arlo Guthrie freak. #1 is City of New Orleans.

Phantom Scribbler said...

Ok, I googled #3, so I won't answer it and cheat, but I will say that I'm ashamed that I didn't know it.

jayfish said...

all i can say is that #3 is from grease.

i'd guess that it's "grease is the word" by um...
some guy?

the other unanswered are out of my realm. :(

Overread said...

Woohoo! I would never call you old, PS, and City of New Orleans, it is. Very impressive.

Grease indeed! I didn't think you'd get that one. Quite nicely done.