Wednesday, August 10, 2005

TACheckSportsTrip

Ahem…

Woohoo!!! The TAship is mine! My precious my precious, no one will take you away from me, my one and only precious. I had a phone interview and I guess I was good enough to get the prof’s ok, so now we can go with the ‘had it, lost it, in the running for it, lost it, got it’ scenario. If you had that on your play-at-home sheet, then you get the full points. Sorry to all those who played and didn’t win this time, but I’m sure there will be more opportunities to play.

Other random good news: I got an email from the billing office asking me why I hadn’t picked up one of my fellowship checks. This is odd because everything I get either gets direct deposited or mailed to me. Anyway, I run through my papers and it looks like they didn’t give me a full check some time in March, and so there was a check for the remainder sitting there waiting for me.

Now, if this were me losing money, I would be tweaked that they weren’t on the ball and didn’t get the numbers right the first time, but since it’s a black number in the accounts, I went over to the office with a smile. I did ask if they knew the story behind the check, not expecting much, and they had a little pow-wow for a bit and came back to me with the helpful information that the money was a fellowship grant from my department. Well, true enough, I guess, but I kinda already knew that. Convinced that nothing was to be gained by trying to figure it out, I kept my smile, clutched my check and happily strolled back to my little cave.

More fun info from the billing office: The guy next to me was trying to find out how he would get his athletic scholarship money. He also wanted to know if he could get a replacement ID there (In the billing office. Yeah.). From the way he was twitching and hopping all over the room, and the scattered thoughts that were flying all over the place, I really hope he was on some hard-core crazy drugs. Really. Because if this is the way this guy is naturally, our sports teams are in more trouble than they already are.

Trip Updates!

I leave tomorrow for the grand crazy tour! I’m not packed! I’m not prepared! I’ll be gone for about 2 weeks sweating like a racehorse at scenic spots and popping in on hyper-refrigerated universities. If history is any gauge, there will also be a lot of eating and drinking. If all that isn’t a surefire recipe for illness, I don’t know what is. I shall be strong however, and remain healthy until I get home and have to gear up for school. Then I’ll fall deathly ill – you just watch.

I have gathered some gifts to hand out bearing the University’s fine imprint, and I’m going to get a hat with the name emblazoned upon it, so that when we go out on the excruciatingly hot tour portions of the trip I can be a proper sweaty (but shaded from the sun) representative of my beloved school.

Also, because I have no car, I have to take a shuttle bus to the monstrous airport Many Miles Away. Unfortunately, the shuttle bus leaves from a place not serviced by the fine local public transport service, sooooo I’m guessing I’m going to have to take a cab to the bus to the plane. Ugh. And we wonder why the sky hangs heavy with lung goo.

I will be taking the laptop and hopefully I’ll be able to blog a little bit from the land of Far Away. I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to say without blowing my cover, but I’ll hopefully be able to have some stories of non-specific hyjinx.


Ok, that’s all for now, see you on the flipside.

6 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

what is the purpose of this trip?

RussianViolets said...

Congrats on the good news! And have a wonderful time on your trip.

Overread said...

Actually, I'm not entirely sure what the trip is about. It's a junket of some kind. As I understand it, I'm to be wined and dined from scenic spot to scenic spot and university to university.
I'mm sure it's not to be as posh as all that though. I imagine I'll be stuffed onto a little tour bus and shuttled from statue to historical spot ad nauseum. I'll be served at the massive feed troughs and housed in hotels that can only dream of putting a star-rating on their signs.
But I am and will be grateful, because it's all on their dime :)

Overread said...

I read that last post only to realize that it's not very helpful. I'll try again.

The question was what is the purpose of this trip.

There was an invitation from a university in this far off land to get a scholar to go over there and be awed by the beauty and historical wonder that they've got over there.

Then they hope this scholar will become an evangalist for the place and hordes of scholars all over the US will be writing favorably about it.
I may be being a bit cynical about that though.

So my take would be that the pupose of this trip is split.

My purpose is to have a great time seeing the sights and meeting folks.

Their purpose (I believe) is to make me love their land.

Fun, yeah?

I should really be packing now too :)

BrightStar (B*) said...

okay, I still don't get it, but I hope you have a great time!

mendi-la said...

may your irish luck continue to shine...