Friday, February 17, 2006

Those Who Can't...

Last night I was here in the office way too late getting my lesson plan together for today, and the cleaning folks came by. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm here often enough late at night that they know me pretty well. Last night one of them asked me if I was a teacher. I fumbled for a bit. It seems very odd. I was going to say that I'm a graduate student, and so I'm not really a teacher, but ya know what? I am a teacher.

This morning in class, one of my students asked if I was the same Overread who is listed as the teacher who is teaching Intro to Gruub Studies in the summer. He found my name on the class schedule. I didn't even know it was out yet. It's the first real non-TA teaching gig I've ever had at a university. I am a teacher.

Maybe people who have known me a long time don't see this as surprising. I've always been a geek, so teaching should be a no-brainer for me right? The thing is that I never really thought that I would love doing this so much. I was going to be a football player. Then when I went to high school and uni the first time, I was going to be an actor, then at least a theatre techie.

Well, I won't be a teacher if I can't get this dag-blasted thesis together or get into a PhD, will I?

1 comment:

International Student of Life said...

Hi there!
This is my first posting. I came across your post when I was looking for some idea on a lesson plan for The Twits by Roahl Dahl. I do not plan on getting my PhD. I have been in uni way to long. I will be so happy with my Master's. LOL. What is the problem with your thesis so far? What topic will you do it on?