Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Good Morning!

I'm still here, but only barely.  I thought I would try to knock out a few papers this morning before class, but I hit the most frustrating paper I've seen in a very long time.  This student seems to have misunderstood so many fundamental concepts that I'm not sure this isn't a joke.  This student cited class discussions (ugh!) when claiming something so patently absurd that I can't even really laugh at it.  And of course, on top of that, it's written in the style of a gifted 4 year old with a thesaurus.

Naturally, I can't take it as a joke.  I commented in depth and without kid gloves.  I hope that this student reads the comments - I know most don't, but I wonder if I won't have a more hostile student on my hands once the grades go back. 

So most of this morning was spent eyes-squinted, head at a 'His Master's Voice' angle trying to parse out what this student could possibly be meaning, then carefully forming responses. 

My friends tell me that I spend too much time on grading, and I know they're right - especially now when my priority must settle squarely on the thesis, but I haven't found it within myself to just stamp a crappy grade on a paper and hope the student figures out what was wrong all by their lonesome. 

Feh - another half day done.

No comments: