Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Mad Hot Ballroom

So, Mad Hot Ballroom.

I really did like it, but I will admit that it’s a bit obvious. All the clichés you could expect are there for a heart-warming feel-good movie – my apologies, I ran out of clichés myself. I think one of the things that keeps me happy going to movies is really low expectations, but for this one, I actually expected a great film, and maybe that’s why I’m not as blown away as a lot of other people have been. Again, that’s not to say it’s a bad film. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone at all.

For me, the most moving part of it all is watching the kids try to deal with the competition and fitting it into their world. Some of the funniest moments are in interviews where the kids talk about the opposite sex. Even then, though, they caught me off-guard a couple of times. One of the girls mentions that eleven year old girls are prime targets for kidnappings. Partly from the matter-of-fact way she says it, and partly because the girl next to her doesn’t seem to understand what she means, it was a very interesting moment.

Overall:

A good flick with flashes of insight and depth

I forgot how I was rating these things. Was it out of ten? Then how about an 8 for this one? Ok? Ok.

8

Also, I forget where I found this link, but there was a tough fight to get the rights to the music used in the film. Take a look here.

No comments: