Friday, September 30, 2005

Soothing the Heart of the Savage Breast

Whew – just finished a photo gig and it’s time to go home, but before I do, I know you’re all aching for a Friday night (Saturday morning?) version of the silly guess the lyrics game! Tonight we’re doing a batch, but sticking to the ‘80s with one exception from 1968 because while I was editing photos, I switched my mix. Some are cruel and nasty, some easy. So without further ado:

#1
Lipstick cherry all over the lens as she's falling
In miles of sharp blue water coming in where she lies
The diving man's coming up for air cause the crowd all love pulling dolly by the hair, by the hair
And she wonders how she ever got here as she goes under again

#2
And you get in your car and you drive real far
And you drive all night and then you see a light
And it comes right down and lands on the ground
And out comes a man from Mars
And you try to run but he's got a gun
And he shoots you dead and he eats your head
And then you're in the man from Mars

#3
Zebras are reactionaries,
Antelopes are missionaries,
Pigeons plot in secrecy,
And hamsters turn on frequently.

#4
I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feet've got no rhythm.
Though it's easy to pretend, I know you're not a fool.
Should've done better than to cheat a friend,
and waste the chance that I've been given.
So I'm never gonna dance again, the way I danced with you.

#5
Tommy used to work on the docks.
Union’s been on strike.
He’s down on his luck...it’s tough, so tough.
Gina works the diner all day.
Working for her man, she brings home her pay.
For love - for love.

#6
The blonde waitresses take their trays
They spin around and they cross the floor
They’ve got the moves

You drop your drink then they bring you more Remember, no Googling allowed. We’re looking for artist and song title, half credit for one without the other. Only blue or black ink is accepted, no pencils. Take everything off your desk and open you blue books. Ready? Begin.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The only one I know is #4. It's a Wham! song, I think.

BrightStar (B*) said...

#4 is, indeed, by Wham! "Careless Whisper." Totally a middle school slow dance song in my world.

Overread said...

Wow, I thought that one might be a little tough. :)

Wham! it is! Very nicely done by the tag team of Laura and B*.

J. Otto Pohl said...

I seem to have forgotten alot in 20 years. But, number two is definitely Rapture by Blondie. Number one is Girls on Film by Duran Duran I think. I think number three is Animals by Pink Floyd. I am going to pass on the other two.

Overread said...

Ah! Hazaah to Mr. Pohl!

Blondie, Rapture - check! One of the few songs about aliens eating bars guitars and Subarus - truly a work of art.

Duran Duran (D^2 to my sister), Girls on Film - check! I thought this was one of the hardest ones.

Alas! #3 is a miss, it isn't Pink Floyd. It's not particularly popular, but I put it in because it's one of those songs I can never get out of my head if I hear it.

Handily done to one and all. Now we're down to #3, #5 and #6. Somebody will almost surely get #6, but #3 and #5 are tough.

jayfish said...

#3 - obviously the one from 68. and that's not really in my realm of knowledge.
#5 living on a prayer - bon jovi?
#6 walk like an egyptian - the bangles?

:)

Overread said...

Bingo! The fish is correct! I didn't think anyone would get the Bon Jovi. Well done, well done...

The secret number three:

At the Zoo - Simon and Garfunkel

mendi-la said...

I have to post though i'm very late with this
Okay, i had #1 in six words :), Duran2, Girls on Film #2 is a Blondie song, #3 no clue, #4 again in 5 words, Wham! Careless Whisper, #5 Bon Jovi, Hanging on a Prayer (3 lines) and #6 i've heard it but can't place it.

Thanks! this is so much fun!