Friday, October 07, 2005

Wallace and Gromit – Curse of the Were-Rabbit

This is another movie I really liked. I have to admit that I’ve only seen a couple of the W&G shorts, but I had an idea of what this would be like. I think it survived the transition to a full-length feature very well.

The story is solid and of course the voice-acting is wonderful. It’s completely family friendly, but not bland like so many ‘family movies’ are (there was a trailer for Cheaper by the Dozen Two, and man, does that look awful. And I like Steve Martin).

Most of all, it’s really funny. You’ve got your physical comedy, your puns, sight gags, and the standard wackiness you’d expect. Even in a less-than-crowded cinema, I laughed out loud several times.

I have to admit, even though it was very funny and captivating and definitely worth seeing, it’s not a great film. It’s not a movie that I’m going to remember for years and buy the minute it comes out of DVD.

Even though it is a completely different movie, it’ll probably be compared to Corpse Bride simply because of the stop-action filming (great article about the filming of CB here), and I have to say, I don’t think it was a good as CB. W&G was wonderfully inventive, but it didn’t create another world as effectively as CB.

Again, it’s very much worth the ticket, and as with Corpse Bride, I’m really happy that movies that aren’t just the same old standard Hollywood schlock are getting wide release. I do feel like a bit of some cheeeeese though...

Wallace and Gromit – Curse of the Were-Rabbit 8/10

No comments: