Thursday, December 29, 2005

I Can't Drive 55, Or Otherwise, Apparently.

So ok. About a year ago, I was driving a friend's car and got in an accident. My friend let her insurance lapse, and, because I don't have a car, I didn't have insurance. So, driving without insurance for me. The police didn't like that situation, and suspended my license for a year. Bummer, but no big. Well, the suspension term is up, so I thought I'd get my license back in case I wanted to rent a car and tool around a bit before class start up again. So, I go down to my friendly neighborhood DMV (luckily, it's within biking distance). The nice young gentleman at the counter told me that I'd need extra insurance before they'd issue me a license, and I'd have to carry the insurance until December of 2008.

Even if I don't have a car?

Yes, even if you don't have a car.

Is this special insurance expensive? (maybe if it's cheap, I could still do it)

[Laughter] Yeah, well, it's really expensive.

Well, crap.

I did a quick check and it seems that many places don't even offer the special flavor of insurance - makes sense really, since only high-risk drivers and sad-luck cases like myself would need it (and maybe I'm deluding myself into thinking that I'm not a high-risk driver as well). I even called one to get a quote just to see how expensive it would be and the guy was a bit flummoxed when I said I didn't have a car. "Oh, if you don't have a car, we can't do that."

Now, I know this is a car-nation, but yeesh.

So, no driving for Overread until 2009. I wonder if I'll even remember how by then. I hope I go to a school where I can bike.

Should I go get the ID card so I don't have to get frisked at the airport because of my expired driver's license?

No comments: