Saturday, January 28, 2006

Flutter Flutter

Yesterday was one of the most full Fridays I've had in a long time. I was working in the office until about 11:30pm Thursday night. Then Friday stared with a three-in-a-row class block (2 teaching, one attending) I got two hours for lunch, which naturally meant I had to eat in 20 minutes while trying to finish some classwork. Then there was lecture number two for the day and a one-on-one with advisor the second. That got postponed, so I had time to help out a postdoc with some problems she was having. Then I had another couple hours free, so I bicycled home to get a shower (did I mention I hadn't showered yet?), and got in a few minutes reading before hopping back on the bike to zoom over to advisor the first's home for a dinner with visiting scholar-whose-book-we're-using-in-class (I'm also thinking of using his book for my summer class). I got home at about 11pm.

Yowza.

The dinner was actually very nice. I'm very much a hermit, so I don't get out much (although I've got another dinner tonight - aren't I the social butterfly all of a sudden?). The most flattering part about it was that I think it's the first time I felt like I was comfortable dealing with a fairly big name in the field who wasn't from my department. Uber kudos to my advisor who brought everyone together and made me feel like I fit in. Oh, also, I was the only grad student invited. Just me and a bunch of real living breathing big-wigs. Cool.

Tonight's a Chinese New Year party, so in case I forget, I hope everyone has a great year of the dog!

1 comment:

jayfish said...

so?? how was the party??

i hear the year of the dog is the coolest of all of them. while the cow, well... that's a bit down the list.