Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Time Cop-Out of the Year

Ok, Ok, I know I'm behind the news-cycle with this one, but as I'm sure everyone has seen by now, the Time Person of the Year is out, and it's 'You.'

Har har, clever clever.

I see what they mean - as a bulwark of the "old" media, a magazine is going to see the disturbance of the YouTubes and blogs and their aggressive watchdogging and raking of muck that is aimed not only at the standard targets of such things like politicians and movie folk and such, but at all media outlets as well. So, yeah, it would be silly to deny that there isn't a big shakeup going on. Bush's forged military records, Howard Dean's scream, panty-less coke-crazed attention whores - none of these would be what they are without the "new" media.

But I'm still not sold that impact is more important than, say Rumsfeld, Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong-il, or Hugo Chavez.

I'm not saying that their choice was unfounded. Hell, it's their magazine, they set the standards.

Feh, I guess it's a good thing I don't buy papers or magazines anymore. They're all online, don'tcha know?

No comments: