Saturday, June 18, 2005

Game, Set and Uuuungh!

A Wimbledon chief referee wants female tennis players to cut back on the grunting. Are you kidding? They would lose half of their 21-25 male demographic! Ok, I'm a facecious twit, but seriously, is this a problem? Is this just another case of an old-guard sportsman getting all bent out of shape because 'his' sport isn't what it used to be? That's what it sounds like to me anyway. Maybe it's another bit of fallout from Title 9 - These women aren't being women-ly enough! and they're getting more popular than the men!

3 comments:

mendi-la said...

change is inevitable, it is unfortunate that the image of women is so fixed in some minds

Stewgad said...

Do you think that such a proposal could ever fly for men's tennis? Can you imagine a judge saying, "I think we need a rule so that men stop making athletic sounds while they are being athletes because it is unmanly." I don't think so. Grr.

Overread said...

Yeah, martial arts would be out the door pretty quick.

"Pandon me sensei, but you can't grunt when you hit your opponent."

I think that's a good word to play with in this situation - 'manly/unmanly' To my ears, that's what it seems to be about.