Saturday, June 18, 2005

Things Move Fast Here. Almost Too Fast...

I got an itinerary for my late summer trip. I guess that means I'm going, right? I should mention that I'm the kind of guy who denies any possibility of good news even after it's obvious to the rest of the world. Naturally, I'm still skeptical. Why would these people want to get some random grad student and send him half-way across the globe for two weeks. Feed him, show him the sights. No strings? Here are my thoughts:
  • indoctrinate - Scientology?
  • They're trying to sell me something - Time share?
  • They're at the end of the budget cycle and need to dump cash.
  • They know what a wonderful guy I am, and just want to be kind.
  • They need me off campus so they can muscle in on my territory while I'm gone. (Note: I have no territory)
  • It's all an illusion and a figment of my imagination.

3 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

perhaps the third? I dunno. I need more information in order to come to a conclusion. :)

-b*

Stewgad said...

How about, you worked hard, your research is interesting and worthy of funding, and the Powers That Be with the Money took note? I know it is far more fun to self-deprecate than to accept one's good fortune, but maybe you actually deserve this!

Overread said...

Well, I'm leaning toward the former, but I very much appriciate the latter :)