Thursday, September 01, 2005

Finnegan Begin Again

I’m a masochist in a lot of ways really. My school year starts a bit later than everyone else’s, and I’m very jealous.

I’m reading blogs about the first day of school and the bipolar sections. I’m reading about missing students and too many students and the ever-present students who are shocked - shocked! that work will be required in class. I’m reading about inventive ways of getting students involved from day one. I’m reading about the heads of fierce beasts that are not conducive to sign language. I’m reading about the flush of victory that you feel when the students get it.

Did I mention I’m jealous? Jealousy is a big part of it, but it's nervousness and excitement too.

I should be building PhD applications and knee deep in materials for my thesis. I should be cleaning and rearranging my tiny little room so I can move the rest of the boxes in. I should be back on my running schedule, but instead I sit here in my chair in my office living vicariously through those of you who have already begun again.

If I had a bit, I’d chomp it.

2 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

That happens to me in the winter. Our second semester here starts later than everyone else's seems to start.

I hope your application process goes well.

RussianViolets said...

Yes, good luck.