Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Guilt Within Pleasure Volume II

I just got word that a second university - (Gorgeous, Good and Specialty University - GGSU) is offering me admission. I'm really so excited, but. It's a very good school with some great people that I would love to work with, but. It's in a drop-dead gorgeous area, but. It would be slightly closer to some of my family than the other school that has accepted me, but. They even sound a little more apt to fund me, but.

but.

Another grad here also applied to GGSU. I think she applied to the same department as I did. She would fit in very well with the faculty specialty there, and she didn't apply to many schools - GGSU was her best shot. She's said that if she doesn't get in anywhere, she may just going to drop out with her MA and run off and do 'whatever.'

So, if I got in, it would be very very implausible that she got in too.

I'm left with the most fortunate of problems. I've already got two very good options (and four more schools to hear from), but barring very big funding questions, I'm leaning toward not going to GGSU.

She may not get in anywhere. What if she doesn't get in, and I turn down a chance to go to the school where she wanted to go? Guilt. My friend who was in the office when I got the email said I really should be Jewish or Catholic. I can find guilt anywhere. Then again, she thinks I should be gay too, and that ain't happening. Actually I think it's more the whole Puritan 'It's not moral to enjoy good things' idea.

but.

I still squealed like a little girl when I got the email. They like me! They really like me!

7 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

You can be happy for yourself. It's totally okay. :) YAY!

zerodoll said...

Celebrate and be proud! Choose the place that's best for YOU, not for what might open up a space for someone else.

Congratulations!!!

mendi-la said...

ditto what zerodoll said - look out for number one first - i think i heard some advice like that recently as well :)

jayfish said...

um, question. are you saying you don't want to be gay because you'd be enjoying good things? i'm confused.

(in other news, take the one that will fit you best, no matter the circumstances.)

sheepish said...

May I suggest that you sit around drawing hearts and flowers around the name of the university?

Overread said...

Thanks for the encouragement, all. I will choose what's best for me, and I will celebrate well, once all the notices are in - diet be damned!

Jayfish - the gay thing is a long running joke. She's a lesbian and thinks I'm a good person so I ought to be gay. Har har

Sheepish - Excellent idea! I'll need to go get some of those sparkly gel pens though...

Phantom Scribbler said...

Congratulations!!

Sheepish made me laugh out loud.