Monday, July 25, 2005

Trouble With A Capital T - That Rhymes With P, and That Stands For Pool

I tripped over an old name online last night. It is funny how seeing a name you haven’t even thought of in years can bring back worlds that you might as well have forgotten. The name belonged to one of the folks I knew in my theatre life. So, naturally, I had to start googling all the names that were now popping up unbidden.

Most of they folks I knew are still actors, or at least working in related fields – stage managing, writing, directing. One was recently in a couple of TV shows that I haven’t heard of. She was only doing bit parts, but I hope that gets better for her. At least she’s not doing zombie movies like she was when I last heard about her. (Although as an aside, I should say that I saw Shaun of the Dead and it was really funny)

I imagine this happens to everyone when reunions or old friends pop up. I started to think about what would have happened if I had stayed in the theatre. I usually jokingly say that I have neither the talent nor the cruelty to succeed in that world, but I think I could have made a living. Would I be in New York working tech on his show that sounds odd but intriguing? Would I be writing plays and hoping to receive the awards that she has been getting? Or would I be working a temp job in the day and watching the door at night like I was for so long?

I got lost in this reverie for quite a while last night. It’s a bit of a melancholy thing, really, seeing in your mind what you might have become. I have no regrets about my choices there, but at the same time it’s a pity that we have to define ourselves to the exclusion of other possibilities so that we can try to become well-versed in one area.

Maybe some day when I’m tenured somewhere, I’ll go find a community theatre that needs someone to play the 70th trombone in the big parade.

No comments: