Sunday, June 05, 2005

Mutual of Omaha Presents: Wild Campus

The finals have been trickling in. I think I’ve got most of them now, but I haven’t started grading yet. Frankly, I have other priorities with closer deadlines.

I guess by now I should have learned to expect five or six late ones, but I never do. Somehow I always thought that getting the final in on time was a good thing. Don’t they want to be done with the class? Don’t they understand the damage that a late paper does to their grade? You might think so, but the college student is a curious beast.

Observe:

· A handful of truly clever students have handed in all the work that they didn’t turn in during the class with their final. Surely I won’t notice.

· Email addresses suddenly vanish! The email accounts that used to be smooth as silk when their owners were asking for help on their work or pleading for extensions due to sick puppies or spontaneously combusting autos all suddenly bounce everything I send. Perhaps they didn’t want to know the key piece of info that could save their grade?

· My café, that I so recently praised, has been overrun. I can’t even get in the door anymore, and I don’t dare brave the outdoor seating area complete with chain-smokers and no power outlets. The local Barnes & Borders is crawling with students. They’ve camped out in the humor section, which is normal, but some have even set up laptop and latte in the literature section – a place they ordinarily would be caught dead perusing.

· I saw students going to class on Friday. That is the scariest thing of all.

Fear my snazzy bullet points.

1 comment:

BrightStar (B*) said...

where in the world could school still be in session? must be on quarter system...