Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Top Ten Things I Learned in the Service

Since finals are winding down, I can finally get a table at my café of joy again. After I’d been here a bit, an army sergeant came in to get coffee. He’s from the recruiting station that moved in a couple of doors down about a month ago. I did serve for awhile, and I’m glad I did, but I’m really of several minds about recruiting and the services in general. I’m trying to formulate a post about it for a later date, but I thought I would throw together a quick piece inspired by the sergeant who came in for coffee today.

Top Ten Things I Learned in the Service:

10. Only the Marines do that ‘A-Tin-Hut!” thing. The rest of us just enunciated.

9. Arranging decorative gravel is critical to the security of our nation.

8. There are some amazingly bright folks in the services.

7. If you hang from a pole long enough, you can stretch an inch. If you get taller, you are allowed to weigh several pounds more.

6. In real life, no one looks good in Navy whites.

5. Nobody pays attention to ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’

4. There are some amazingly dim folks in the services.

3. If you lift weights with your head, your neck will get bigger. If your neck gets bigger, you are allowed to weigh several pounds more.

2. A short haircut feels very nice in the summer.

1. Pushups are just the Drill Sergeants’ way of telling you that they care.

No comments: