Monday, October 10, 2005

The Daily Summary

5.08km – 27’05”

I was completely swamped today, but I was able to sneak out for a quick run after office hours. I usually run in the early morning or afternoon, so it was really nice to see a trail I know so well in a different light. The sunsets here are wonderful, and even though the sun was basically gone by the time I got out there, there were still plenty of lovely redish-purples out there for me to enjoy. So, yea me. Also, I just got word that the Fish just finished his first 10K. Hooray for the Fish!

I also had the interview for the winter position. I guess I shouldn’t have worried that much. They offered the job to me about five minutes after the meeting. That’s a good sign, I guess. I get the idea that they knew the two people they wanted already, but had to do the interviews to sate the ravenous bureaucracy.

I’ll be working with two professors – one who I’ve already worked with before and like quite a bit. He’s a youngish guy, very energetic and unapologetically geeky. I appreciate that. The other professor is a bit of a mystery. He’s older and from a field I don’t deal with a whole lot. I’m usually able to get a smile or laugh or two out of most people in a comfortable setting, and in the interview he did laugh with me a couple times, but then he would immediately drop back into a poker face. I don’t think there’s anything to be worried about there. Maybe he was just trying to be more interviewer-esque. In any case, I’m really happy I got the gig, that means, once again I will have evaded the wolves of hunger for another couple months. Yea me!

And now, the unanswered quiz items from last magical mystery quiz!

I can’t believe that no one got this one:

#1

Do you still recall the fateful night we crossed the Rio Grande?
I can see it in your eyes
How proud you were to fight for freedom in this land

It’s “Fernando” by ABBA! Am I the only retro-disco guy out here? Don’t make me pull out the Andy Gibb.

Ok – this one was much harder:

#6

They say that life is tit for tat
And that's the way I live
So, I deserve a lot of tat
For what I've got to give
Don't you know that this hand
Washes that one too

It’s “When You’re Good to Mama” by Queen Latifah on the Chicago Soundtrack!

Good tunes, good tunes…

Ok here’s one parting shot - Song title and who sang it:

Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky

4 comments:

jayfish said...

fields of gold - sting

Overread said...

toooo easy.... And you couldn't get ABBA?

jayfish said...

if you would have picked s.o.s. or dancing queen, maybe. but fernando? that one was too hard :)

mendi-la said...

can't believe i missed the ABBA one...
new song is by STING, fields of gold