Sunday, October 09, 2005

One Ringie Dingie, Two Ringie Dingies

I just got a call confirming an appointment tomorrow to interview for one of two positions available in the winter. I’ve done it before, and I feel pretty confident, but I know those in power are also going to be considering the new grad students. I also got a call from a friend who wasn’t in the running last year, but is this time. She called to make sure that I was okay with her trying to get a position too. It was very nice of her, and as there are two positions open, I feel perfectly fine rooting for her while I root for me.

There are, however, odd winds a-whirling, so I know that it’s possible I won’t get it even though I’m probably the best fit of the people available. Honestly, I think that’s ok. I have a horrible ability to see other people’s points of view, and so I understand why they might go with new folks.

Dammit all though, I want the position. So I just have to go in there and convince them that I’m the best option. I feel horrifically awkward selling myself, but I guess that’s part of the whole academic world, yes?

2 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

ugh. I hate the selling myself part the most.

mendi-la said...

you'll be doing it for the rest of your life in one way or another...succumb