Monday, October 17, 2005

Five for Quizzing

First off, eternal shame for those of you who didn’t get Thriller. I know, I know, it was an odd patch of lyrics, but it’s Thriller! Hehe, ok, no more teasing the quizzed… the quizzical?

#4 was indeed Wild, Wild West, but it was by The Escape Club

Bonus wacky question was another sop to the hippies (or musical theatre) folks out there – it’s the title song to the musical Hair. Good stuff, there.

On to tonight’s extravaganza! Due to musical rain (not purple, unfortunately), I may have to dig a bit deeper into the recently played lists, but rest assured, each tune was played on my laptop in the recent past. Because I know that’s important to you all. :)

#1

I've got to get closer but I don't know how.
She makes me nervous and makes me scared
But I feel so good if I just say the word

#2 – several artists recorded this one, but there’s only one real version :)

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you’ll wait for me
Hold me like you’ll never let me go

#3

Once there was a boy
Who woke up with blue hair
To him it was a joy
Until he ran out into the warm air
He thought of how his friend would come to see;
And would they laugh, or had he got some strange disease?

#4

Last night I tried to leave
She cried so much I just
could not believe
she was the same girl I
fell in love with long ago

#5

I met my old lover
On the street last night
She seemed so glad to see me
I just smiled
And we talked about some old times
And we drank ourselves some beers

10 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

#2 is "Leaving on a Jet Plane." I think the only real version is Peter Paul & Mary. I last heard them sing it one Fourth of July at Tanglewood -- I've got my fingers crossed that Mary recovers from leukemia so the kids can hear her sing someday, too.

Anonymous said...

#4 - "Let Her Cry" - Hootie and The Blowfish

#5 - "Still Crazy After All These Years" - Paul Simon

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

#2 - definitely with Phantom that the only "real" version is PPM. (Phantom sent me here, btw. Good call!)

#3 - Crash Test Dummies, "God Shuffled His Feet"

No earthly idea what #1 is...

Jane Dark said...

Ah, but "Leaving on a Jet Plane" was John Denver's song first, wasn't it?

Camera Obscura said...

Knew all of 'em 'cept #3. Shame on y'all -- #1 is "Susudio". Or will nobody admit that they listen to Phil Collins? You did, you know you did.

According to everything I can find, John Denver wrote "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" but I admit, the PPM version was the first one I heard, too.

Suzanne said...

Phantom Scribbler sent me!

I am deeply ashamed to say that I know #1: Sussudio by Phil Collins.

But I also knew #2 and #3...

mendi-la said...

I love PPM, but will always think of John Denver when I hear that song-he was a fantastic songwriter

Stewgad said...

My only experience with John Denver is as a backup singer for the Muppets on their Christmas Album. Which, I dust off every year and make Spousal Unit listen to over and over and over. I love it.

And, that's all I've got. I don't recognize anything. I love this game, but I stink at it!

Overread said...

Oh, the muppets! How will kids grow up today without them?

I miss 'em...

Phantom Scribbler said...

Ah, never fear, Overread. Through the magic of DVDs, kids today need not grow up without the Muppets! Nor need you miss them...