Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Welcome Pixies!

I’m so happy that there are more folks filtered in from Phantom Scribbler to tackle the lyrics quiz! (Seriously, PS, you should see my statcounter spike :) ) Anyhoo – Welcome to one and all! To celebrate the linkage, there are 10! Count ‘em 10! questions tonight. Hopefully there’ll be a couple toughies for you.

First, there is only one clarification to make because you guys kicked far too much ass and got all the questions right yesterday. The clarification is about ‘Leaving on a Jet Plane’. Now, the John Denver version is the one I was thinking of when I wrote the question. It’s absolutely one of the most wonderfully sad renditions that ever there was, and personally has a very bittersweet romantic memory for me. That being said, I listened to the PPM version today, and I can’t say that those PPM fans were misguided in saying that that was their favorite version. So, alas, it’s just such a sad song, I imagine if Pee-Wee Herman sang it, I’d still be touched.

ong story short: full points and back-patting all around!

Now, for the new, improved and devious-er version of the lyrics quiz!

#1 – A fairly easy one to warm up

Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night
#2 – An easier one to cool down

Slipped me notes under the desk
While I was thinkin' about her dress
I was shy I turned away
Before she caught my eye
#3 – Hmmm today’s songs seem easier than I was hoping – but do you know the artist?

Look at what’s happened to me.
I can’t believe it myself.
Suddenly I’m up on top of the world.
It should’ve been somebody else.

#4 – Had to make this one a little shorter

The insecurity is the thing that won’t get lost
And you want her and she wants you
#5 – And suddenly with no warning, a really hard one!

The wind blows hard against this mountainside
Across the sea into my soul.
It reaches into where I cannot hide
Setting my feet upon the road.
My heart is old it holds my memories
#6 –
I used to have a lover with a Midas touch
I turned to gold but he turned to dust
Left me for another, I turned to stone

#7 – I used to intentionally mishear the title of this one – Oh, good times…

Crying on the corner, waiting in the rain
I swear I'll never, ever wait again
You gave me your word – but words for you are lies

#8 –

And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They’re quite aware of what they’re going through

#9 – Ouch. I never would get this one, even though I thought I knew the song alright…


She turns herself round
And she smiles and she says
'This is it - That's the end of the joke'
And loses herself
In her dreaming and sleep
And her lovers walk
Through in their coats

#10 – Last one!


Meet me in the crowd
People people
Throw your love around
Love me love me



10/19 edited to fix a goof.

13 comments:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Ooh, I beat people here!

#1 is Journey, "Don't Stop Believin'" (Can I tell you that in 6th and 7th grade Journey was my FAVORITE group?)

#2 is J. Geils Band, "Centerfold" (yay Boston band!)

#3 is Howard Jones, "No One is to Blame" (our anthem senior year in high school)

I know #7 but I can't remember the title or the group, and I know #8 but since I took the other easy ones already I'll stop here. :-)

Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, New Kid beat me! I was so excited to identify "No One Is to Blame," too.

I'll have to settle for identifying #8 (thanks for the sop, New Kid) -- David Bowie, "Changes."

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Thanks for the welcome, Overread! I like it here. :)

For #3, we don't get any points for remembering the TV series?

Suzanne said...

Oh, this is so much fun!

#6 is Heart and Soul by T'Pau.

#7 is Harden My Heart (? not sure of title) by Quarterflash.

#10 is Shiny Happy People by REM.

mendi-la said...

Awesome quiz today, Overread! It is so funny because just yesterday i was thinking, "he should post some journey songs..." and ta da, looky what we have today. I only got ~70% on this one though. I knew the first 7 but had no clues on the last 3. Shame on me for not knowing #10.
So is #3 Walking on Air by Christopher Cross (okay, this may not be right), #5 Kyrie(sp) by Mister Mister
ha ha! but i knew they others! woo hoo for me and yeah for overread for posting such fun quizzes that i MUST look at his blog everyday...the fish is noticeably absent...

jayfish said...

i'm glad i at least get one... this is a fast group!

#9 Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs

mendi-la said...

btw, i think your lyrics are swapped around on #7 - shouldn't the last line be first?

Overread said...

Wow! What a huge response! Woohoo!

So far, we've got all of them with the possible exception of #3. I think everyone knows it though - and yes, Pilgrim/Heretic, you do get bonus points for knowing the TV show. You get even more points if you can explain to me how hair like the main character had was acceptable back then.

Ack! Mendi-la caught me in a goof! I think you are right, I got the lyrics funked up a bit on #7. I'm off to fix it right now!

Congrats to one and all!

although this proves to me that I need to make these much harder :)

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Ooo, hurray! (Will I lose the bonus points for actually having liked the TV show, though? I was young and foolish.)

And now that dratted song is going through my head again... believe it or not!

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Oh - and I have to say - I would pay a lot of money to hear PeeWee Herman sing "Leaving on a Jet Plane."

Phantom Scribbler said...

Wow, I am in awe of the Jayfish. And really, I am totally sucking at this. I used to think I was so good at name that song type games! Sigh.

I'm glad that a lot of pixies followed the link. You rawk, Overread.

Camera Obscura said...

I got the first 8 right... can you tell I "went grown-up" and started listening to the "classic rock" station (60s, 70s, "and the best of today") in 1984?

Overread said...

Wow, lots of high scores, indeed. I shall have to be more devious.

P/H - Well, I have no shame, I loved the Greatest American Hero too, but then, I'm a fan of all of the songs I'm posting, so that's probably even more sad

PS - You should be in awe of Jayfish, as should we all. He's a cool cat even beyond his freakish knowledge of tunes :)

CO - You actually get extra bonus points, because I just saw that you got the 'Hair' song. Now that's cool. I forget when, but I went to that same radio station too. hmmm.... 60's 70's and the best of today... there's a quiz there, I think...