Wednesday, November 16, 2005

If It Were A Quiz, It Would Have Bit You.

Very well done, oh, my internet lyrical quizzers (I keep wanting to say quislings, but that would be a tad too rude, even for me)!

Although luckbuzz didn’t get it completely, I’m guessing that the whole wild world knows that Jailhouse Rock is an Elvis tune. Otherwise, Kinky Freidman wouldn’t have written Elvis, Jesus and Coca-cola. I mean, how can you not trust a man named Kinky?

I should also add that I’m not sure I have enough points to award to the Jayfish for his eerie knowledge of Bosom Buddies. Perhaps I can subtract some from Zerodoll because of her admission that there’s a possibility that she has Islands in the Stream on her iPod. Oh, the shame! Hehee

The only one left unguessed was the absolutely classic tune, “Let’s Do It For Our Country” from the outstanding show Grease 2. C’mon, you remember it! They’re in the bomb shelter and the guy is trying to convince the girl that world war 3 has started so they might as well have sex. C’mon, surely someone else has watched as much late night TV as I have! hehe

Another slightly early quiz, hope that doesn’t throw you folks off too much.

#1

Out from the kitchen to the bedroom to the hallway
Your friend apologizes, he could see it my way
He let the contents of the bottle do the thinking
Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding

#2

My grand-ma and your grand-ma were
Sit-tin' by the fire. - My grand-ma told
Your grand-ma: "I'm gon-na set your flag on fire."—

#3

You can tell from the lines on her face
You can see that she’s been there
Probably been moved on from every place
’cause she didn’t fit in there

#4

And I can remember the fourth of July,
Runnin’ through the backwood, bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin’,
Chasin’ down a hoodoo there.
Chasin’ down a hoodoo there.

#5

Let's play Twister, let's play Risk. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
See you in heaven if you make the list. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

#6

In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages out on Highway 9
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and stepping out over the line

#7

Didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I see you cryin’?
Oh, didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I see you cryin’?
Feelin’ all alone without a friend, you know you feel like dyin’.

#8

You're motoring
What's your price for flight
In finding Mister Right
You'll be all right tonight

#9

You're the right kind of sinner to release my inner fantasy
The invincible winner and you know that you were born to be

#10

One down one to go
Another town and one more show

#11

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Bonus!

When we hit that road, hell-for-leather
Cats and dogs will dance in the heather
Birds and frogs'll sing all together and the toads will hop!

6 comments:

zerodoll said...

#1 Your Rascist Friend- They Might Be Giants

#3 Phil Collins - Just Another Day in Paradise

jayfish said...

yaay!

#6 Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
#7 I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick

jayfish said...

gar! zerodoll beat me to the punch!

Camera Obscura said...

#4 "Born on the Bayou" CCR

#8 "Motoring" Night Ranger

#9 "Heartbreaker" Pat Benetar

#11 "Welcome Back Kotter" but I had to Google the artist. Yeah, I say that a lot. I can sing the whole thing, tho...

luckybuzz said...

#2--"iko iko", and I'm going with the Dead's version
#4--"Born on the bayou", CCR
#5--"Man on the Moon," REM
#6--"Born to Run," Bruce Springsteen
#7--"I want you to want me," Peter Frampton
#8--"Sister Christian," Night Ranger (we *just* bought this on vinyl for the basement. I think I'm embarrassed about that, but I don't even know anymore.)
#9--I know it...but I don't think it's called "heartbreaker" and I don't know who it is!
Bonus: "Surrey with the fringe on top," from Oklahoma...

and dude, I assumed the Elvis part of jailhouse rock was a given. :)

Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm late and I still get one!!!!

#10 -- Yes, "Leave It"