Saturday, November 19, 2005

Ja, Who? Music

I should say at the begining here that I really like the Yahoo Unlimited system. I get unlimited plays and very liberal downloading (anything I want on my Zen Micro for as long as I use the system). All this is for $5/month, although that was an introductory price. I'm not sure it's still that cheap. They've got few nice radio stations and one special one based on the music you rate, too.
There have always been a few troubles though. First off, the Music Engine (the software that plays the music) is butt-ugly. Purple nastiness and flat out poor design. Coming from iTunes, it's particularly noticable. The music selection is okay, but it's still new, so they are still adding a lot of music. There were also occasional crashes, but, hey, it's beta, I can cope with that.
Now, however, it's gone really wacky. It crashes in a fun and exciting way now. It'll not only shut down the music, it won't let me close the program. Even from the task manager, I can't do squat. On top of that, it starts chewing up my CPU. The Music Engine starts taking up 99% of the CPU, and, of course, you can't kill it. So, none of the other programs are able to run happily = reboot time. grrr...
The big problem is that it works well most of the time delivering more than what I want for a good price. That is, it doesn't fail catastrophically enough that I wont use it.

2 comments:

mendi-la said...

isn't a similar excuse used as to why we have who we have in the white house?.?.?

Overread said...

hehe true enough, true enough...