Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Pardon Me While I Gush For a Bit

Working with the right people makes all the difference in the world. One of my advisors once told me that when picking a university, follow a person, not the name of the school. Turn down an ivy if you can find a prof at Podunk U. who understands your subject.

I’ve got a good one.

He’s very good at what he does, and his technical knowledge is eerie at times. I just got out of a meeting with him discussing the technical aspects of my thesis, which is still in its infancy. Every time I meet with him, I come out of it with the feeling not only that what I’m doing is important, but that I’m good at doing it. How amazingly rewarding to have someone you respect let you know that.

I’m sure that I’ll crash in a couple hours back into the despair of slogging through all this, but for now I’m energized and ready to write. Pity I’ve got to go home and take everything out of my room so they can put in carpet tomorrow. Wouldn't it be nice if I could put this enthusiasm in a little bottle and save it for when I actually have time to sit down and write?

1 comment:

Overread said...

Yeah, he's a great guy, but I think he's getting run a bit ragged. He's been all over for who knows how many conferences this year, and I worry that I'm eating up more of his time than I should. I just have to trust that he would let me know.