Sunday, November 27, 2005

Homeward Bound - Again

So here I sit in Gargantuan Megapolis Airport (no WiFi – pathetic) almost done with my return trip from the Land of Wonderful Nieces (LWN). I do apologize for the lack of blogging and quizzing in particular. I should be able to pick things up a bit once I get back home.

The trip went really wonderfully, as might be expected from the name of the place. I actually got to hang out with a new-to-me cool person up there. I guess you could even call it my first blogger meet-up. This particular person is dating my brother – Yeah, I know, there’s no accounting for taste. She’s a great and friendly gal. She seems to be treating my brother well, which is a nice bonus :). I’m very happy I got a chance to meet her. I even got to meet her sister and bro-in-law – all very good folks.

One of the best things about heading up to LWN is that my brother knows where all the best restaurants are. The night I got in, Jayfish, Zerodoll and I went to a Japanese Tapas place. Yeah, I know it doesn’t make much sense, but the food was scrumptious. I particularly remember a squash soup that was oh-so-yummy.

We also went to an Ethiopian place where he had taken me before (even though I had forgotten). If any of you out there in blog-land have a decent Ethiopian restaurant in your town, you must go out and try it if you haven’t already. We usually get the veggie combos, which ends up being some steamed (?), some blended, and some who-knows-what. Order everything family style and they’ll put it on a big platter. Then you grab the flat bread and grab the food with the bread – Oh, delish! (random picture goodness)

I should also note that although my bother is a wonderful food guide, due to time problems and various emergencies, we also sampled the subtle delicacies of a wonderful place called Taco Bell, and another called Arby’s.

The best, however, was Thanksgiving dinner at The Official Mother Of The Wonderful Nieces, my equally wonderful sister’s place. There was salmon and chicken and white beets (very yummy) and cranberries and stuffing and potatoes and rolls and pecan pie and lime tarts and birthday cake (My sister had the good taste to be born in November). It was all very tasty, even if I didn’t try the salmon (I don’t handle fish very well).

Luckily, my brother, Zerodoll and I went on a run that morning. Funny thing though, a short run turned into a long run when asked, “how far away is [big monument thing]?” My brother, with an evil grin, said we should just run in that direction and find out. Zerodoll didn’t flinch, and of course I couldn’t admit to being a wimp – damn testosterone! So we ran to the big monument thing. It was actually a great run. It felt really good and makes me feel a little bit better about all of the food I ate this weekend.

We also went out and saw Harry Potter. Maybe I’ll post a review later, but I liked it quite a bit. There was a horrible trailer for some god-awful piece of drek called Monster House (noisy link). Yeesh, folks, when will you producers learn that making a movie in CG doesn’t necessarily make it a good thing. It looked like someone got Maya for Christmas last year and thought they’d see if they could make a movie. Uck.

***

Whew. Finally got back. I stopped off at the office to take care of a couple of things, but I need to get home and take a nap. I only got a few hours of sleep last night and I’m getting loopier than usual :)

No comments: