Monday, November 28, 2005

Shamed Into Running

This weekend showed me that I need to get running again. Both because it was a lot of fun to run Jayfish and Zerodoll, but also because I ate like an animal that eats a lot on a day in which it ate a particularly large amount of things that it really likes to eat.

So, I ran.

7.7km - 50'

It was another treadmill run (my, but doesn't it get dark early now?), and I'm still not sure if I actually like that. I tried one of the pre-set courses and I didn't really know what I was doing. The ramp would whirr and chug and put up a higher incline and then slide back down all at odd moments. The machine also told my that my heart rate was alternately around 32 and then 247. I don't think I particularly agree.

Anyway, the really odd thing is that you choose how long you want to run. Well, I guess you don't have to, but I did. I'm sure that's good if you have a specific training goal or something, but it feels a bit underwhelming to me. Oo! Oo! Another 5 minutes! I don't think that will ever compare to making it past the bend in the trail where you can finally see where you are going to end the run over there next to that tree.

Also, I end all of my runs in a sprint because it gives you a great sense of finishing something, and it seems to help with my cool-down somehow. Anyway, that's tougher to do on a treadmill (I did try though - I was punching that 'Speed Up' button like a wild man at the end).

Although, I do have to admit that I feel great now, so I guess it can't be all bad.

No comments: